The North Star
I am a yellow supergiant...the brightest star in the constellation Ursa Minor (a/k/a Little Bear or Little Dipper).
I am located almost directly above the Earth’s North Pole, so I am also called the Pole Star or the North Star. I do not appear to “rise” or “set” at night but seem almost motionless while the other stars of the northern sky revolve around me. I'm only the 46th brightest star, so the best way to find me is to follow the "Pointer Stars" in the Big Dipper, which will lead you right to me. Once you locate me in the sky, walk toward me, and you will be heading north. I helped sailors and explorers find their way across the Atlantic Ocean into uncharted territory, and I will also keep you safe and headed in the right direction.
Because the Earth’s axis changes gradually over time, I wasn’t always the Pole Star, and in about 12,000 years, Vega, in the constellation Lyra, will replace me as the new Pole Star. Until then, however, you can count on me to be your Guide in the Night Sky.
Note: The Two Little Stars, Polaris Ab & B are sold separately (CB017).
- Height of Polaris seated is approximately 10"
- All New Materials
- Content: Polyester Fiber
- Conforms to all US Consumer Product Safety Commission Toy Regulations)
- Hand Made in China
- 3 AA Batteries in childproof internal case included
- Rated "0+" . . . Appropriate for children of all ages
- Care: Spot clean with mild detergent and cold water, but toy may be machine washed in cold water, gentle cycle, if needed. Best to dry at low or no heat in a pillow case or similar to reduce risk of scratching "eyes."